Wandering In The Desert

Posted on Monday, December 28th, 2009 at 10:12 am

We finally made it home last night at about 8:15pm. We left L.A. at about 12:30ish. Do the math.

The traffic on the 15 was so heavy that it took us about half an hour to travel 2 miles. We stopped at the outlet mall for coffee, a potty break and to let the girls stretch. We had been on the road for 3 hours. When we tried to get back on the freeway it took us 45 minutes to just get back to the on ramp.

My mom was giving us traffic updates and it was going to be in the red most of the way. We decided to take the 40 freeway towards Needles and then take the 95 up because it was clear of traffic and we calculated we would get home faster that way. My mom helped us calculate the distance this would add, and it looked like it would only add 80 miles. So we went for it…big mistake.

The 40 was fine, it was clear all the way. But when we got to the 95 we found out that it is not so much a freeway as it is a narrow, bumpy and sometimes curvy two-lane country road. So what should have taken us an extra hour in travel time on a regular freeway took us about 2 1/2 hours. With the girls screaming and crying in the back.

Since it was pitch black with no other civilization within a hundred miles, the lights of the oncoming cars were blinding. Phillip was in a cold sweat, trying to see which way the road would curve next. There would be no cars at all sometimes, and then all of a sudden coming up a hilly part the lights of a semi would suddenly appear just yards in front of us, right as we were coming up over the hill. It was unnerving. And let me repeat: both Ivy and Violet were in full scale kicking, screaming, crying, wailing tantrums during this. Of course they were uncomfortable, having been sitting in their seats almost continually for the last 5 or 6 hours. I felt bad, but there was nothing we could do. It would be unsafe to pull over on that road, and we still had a couple hours ahead of us. I didn’t dare twist around in my seat to do anything about it because in my head I am thinking, “If we get into an accident it would be safer for me to be facing forward during impact.”

It seemed as though it would never end… the ear splitting crying, the tension of not knowing which way the road would go next, and whether the other cars would stay on their side of the road. But eventually it turned into a divided highway, just 30 minutes from home. I had no idea we lived so close to absolute nothingness. I had been up the 95 South before, but only 3 or 4 exits past our usual one for going to church. As it turns out, after a few more exits it turns into that little road cutting through the vast desert.

The irony of this, for me, is that I was feeling reluctant to go to church, and sure enough we did not make it. I really didn’t want to go because it was Novus Ordo and I had just come from the EF at St. Therese. I was so enamored of the High Mass that the thought of anything else would be beyond disappointing. So I really was feeling pretty dead set against going this Sunday. And so God sent us to wander in the desert for 40 hours. The last time I said I did not want to go to church Violet came down with a high fever. Lesson learned. Don’t get on His bad side.

Anyway, we are grateful to be home. When we got here Ivy said, “I didn’t want to come home, but now that we are here I am glad.” Amen, kid. Amen.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

13 Responses to “Wandering In The Desert”

Leave a Reply